What you will learn in this class:
- File-folder structure, HTML and cascading style sheets (CSS).
- Design principles and web navigation.
- How to create your own blog/site using an installation of Wordpress.
- What makes a successful blog.
- How to modify a Wordpress blog’s design (using CSS or built-in tools).
- Web site hosting and domain name management.
- How to use search engine optimization and social media to drive traffic to your site.
This class will be taught entirely online. Assignments will be posted to this website each weekday from May 15 to June 2. All assignments must be completed by 11 p.m. June 5 (see individual due dates). Students should expect to spend as much as 45 hours on classwork during the course of the class.
Although I give individual due dates for assignments, those are really just meant to keep you on track for the semester. I will accept all assignments up until the final deadline of 11 p.m. on June 5.
About the instructorChris Snider is an assistant professor at Drake University, where he started in August 2010. In addition to teaching web design class, Chris teaches classes on social media strategy, digital media strategy, multimedia (video, audio, photography) and design.
He was previously the digital editor at the Des Moines Register, editor of Juice magazine, news design director at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and designer at the Baltimore Sun.
Chris lives in West Des Moines with his wife, Laura, a lawyer with the Laughlin Law Firm. Chris has two children, Henry and Madigan.
Chris will be available for office hours 11 a.m.-noon daily during the course (but he won't necessarily be in his Drake office). You can e-mail email@example.com or post to the Questions & Comments area of this blog. If you want to meet in person, email Chris to work out a time.